Todd and I had him in front of the cool mist humidifier and then in the bathroom with the hot shower running; after 20 minutes he had calmed down, but I didn't want to take any chances so we drove up to DKH (where he was born and the hospital that his DR is affiliated with). To make a long story short, we were there (Todd took Jake home and my Mom stayed with me) from 9 pm until 5:30 am on Wednesday; Kaleb was pretty much ok with a few coughs closer to discharge time- his temp, oxygen levels, and pulse were good; the place was full of sick people; our turn was always "next"; they took us into a room at 1:45 am; one "DR" on rotation; they did nothing for us- his diagnosis was "coughing fit" (my words) and treatment was "follow up with family DR in the morning; the second nurse looked half asleep and looked dumber than dirt; the ER/Triage area was not impressive at all.
After being up almost 24 hours and getting 2.5 hours of sleep, our DR called and said to come up as soon as we could (Wednesday). Kaleb was checked over completely- DR C. discovered an ear infection and advised that we needed to continue with the Zithromax. He explained that RSV is a disease (basically bronchitis in babies)that infants/young children get one time and that either (1) it will cause asthma like symptoms in the future when he is sick (which will more than likely require breathing treatments or (2) asthma causes the RSV onset. He prescribed Pedia Pred (Prednisone is a corticosteroid hormone (glucocorticoid). It decreases your immune system's response to various diseases to reduce symptoms such as swelling and allergic-type reactions. It is used to treat conditions such as arthritis, blood disorders, breathing problems, certain cancers, eye problems, immune system diseases, and skin diseases.) which I have been giving him through a bottle (so he does not start coughing if given through a dropper). We need to continue with the cool mist (we have built a tent out of his bouncer to contain the mist to help his breathing when he has trouble)/or hot shower, and administer the antibiotic and steroid. Our next visit is his 1 month check up on Monday. DR C did say that if it made me feel better (I did ask if I could rent him!) he would see me daily until I felt comfortable. I did feel so much better after seeing him (I did not feel confident that the staff in the DKH ER could properly care for Kaleb if if something did happened to him). Later on that day I gave him his first dose of the steroid and he did well (no adverse reactions), but he did have a coughing spell in the afternoon (1 pm), again in the evening (8 pm), and then early this morning (4 am)- I felt more at ease as the spells were not as bad as they had been, but you still worry.
Today he has been good- no coughing spells. He is still eating and sleeping good (we slept on the couch last night so I wouldn't have to bring the bouncer/humidifier back upstairs). To be quite honest you wouldn't know he was sick to look at him (he has lost some of his color). Many prayers have been said to ensure he continues to get well and with no complications.
He has been making more baby noises and his holding his head up pretty good. When I walk around with him he lifts his head to my cheek/chin and just looks around....then moves his face over mine like he wants to give me a kiss! It is so sweet *melt*. His legs are getting stronger too. He has to be strapped in his bouncer because he is wanting to turn onto his side.
Good news...my request for an additional 2 weeks off from work has been approved. I am so excited (that extra time will be used to start Kaleb on a bottle and for me to get reacquainted with my breast pump). Kaleb will be close to 9 weeks when I return (around Feb 5th).
Before our 2nd trip to the ER..watching TV with Daddy
Today (hot dog on his shirt)